Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tiur Sweater Progress

This is the new work on my needles. I'm really enjoying doing this sweater even after a bit of a slow start. Here's what I'm going toward:

I'm knitting both sleeves at the same time, in the round. That's why I had a slow start. I first began on just one sleeve, working on DPN's, but found I really didn't get a good and even back strand between needles. Some areas of the design have 6-7 stitches to carry across, and it really was causing some pulling. So, mid work, I knit that first sleeve onto a long cable needle. After several rows of magic loop, I still had the same problem.. the strand was either too long or to too tight. I finally went into Ravelry (spelled LOVE!) and into the Stranded Forum and searched for an experienced knitter who was on-line at the same time. Voila!! Two sets of messages, a confirmation I could steek them, and away I went. I set the first single sleeve aside, and cast on both sleeves, with a ten stitch steek on either edge. It worked like a charm, and here is the work, mid pattern.

So here's where I am now. I've just finished the sleeve caps and bound off the top edge. If you look closely (at a bad photo... sorry), you can see the two steek edges on either side of the pattern area. This sleeve has a lovely picot edge that will be turned under at the hem. So now I'm off to start the body. I'll wait to block and cut these until I'm sure of the sleeve opening. So, it's off to storage for these little girls.

Oh, one of the girls at Ravelry mentioned the hat box. It's actually a pin cushion/sewing organizer. I just love pretty things.